Full course description
This beeLearning Short Course explores the topic of African honey bees (AHBs) in the Americas. The honey bee subspecies Apis mellifera scutellata was brought to the Americas in the 1950s. Since its introduction, this highly defensive honey bee has spread throughout South and Central America and into many southern U.S. states. In the lessons of this course, you will learn about the bees themselves as well as what actions can be taken to protect yourself, your bees, and others from African honey bees.
This short course includes the following lessons:
- The Origin of African Honey Bees in the Americas
- Biology and Behavior of African Honey Bees
- Indentification of African Honey Bees
- Managing African Honey Bees and Managing Against Them
- African Honey Bees and Public Safety
Note, lessons in this course overlap with lessons in the Master Beekeeper online course, a part of the UF/IFAS Master Beekeeper Program.